Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wednesday 4/23

Sunny and warm but a little breezy this morning.
Here comes the supervisor trotting down the road.
A gift for me! Thanks awfully your highness but I just had breakfast.
She decided that she didn't want it either, bad kitty.
Busy day at work, then went through Rocky Mount on the way home as I picked up some fence netting for the new chicken lot. I noticed the guys painting the sign back on the old Coca Cola building, I think it is opening up as a restaurant or something so they decided to put the sign up on the front.
After chores, I spent some more time digging grass out from between the hop rows so that I can till it and plant field corn for supports.
Some of the potatoes are breaking through the crust after being planted nearly a month ago. I was beginning to wonder if they were coming up but it has been cold and even snowed on them once.
 Some of the hops are growing nicely while others are just coming through the ground. It probably depends on the condition of the roots that I dug up.
The rye is 4 to 5 feet tall, it really shot up over the last couple weeks.
The grain heads have formed but not bloomed yet, it may get over my head by then.

The supervisor is walking on a row of potatoes that is protected from frost by a row of kale and weeds along the barley. No doubt she was looking for more yellow birds.
The broody hen came off her nest to eat around sunset, she has about 5 more days to go so I need to get the new chicken area fixed up for her to be isolated.


18 comments:

  1. We hope to grow hops some day! Sorry about the bird, we're starting to see those around here too. We typically find a bird or so on our porch, or at least a pile of feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather that she catch mice, plenty of those around.

      Delete
  2. My General Manager used to bring me her kills all the time. Thank the Lord she finally got so fat and lazy she quit hunting, or at least stopped managing to actually kill stuff because having various little critters dropped on my foot was getting old. The little supervisor tries but I don't think she has ever actually managed to catch anything yet.

    You are way ahead of me I didn't even start planting stuff in the garden until today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am way behind a lot of people around here, some have set out tomatoes, mine are just little tiny seedlings. We have a few weeks until frost danger is over.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I would be happier if they would eat what they catch as far as birds go, they can just kill mice for fun if they want. The two supervisors got into a management dispute before supper and Aggy broke it up. she doesn't allow cat fights in her yard.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful shots. It was kind of the supervisor to bring lunch even if it was not tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would I do without the supervisor?

      Delete
  5. Such a nice day. I have no idea that the grain grow rapidly. Just need a short time to find a great crops. Your supervisor would share you all that she got. I love the picture of your supervisor walking on the veg rows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It grew all fall and winter and built up a good root system and spread to become more plants like grass does then it puts all the growth out to put the seed stalks up as high as it can for wind pollination. So it takes 8 months or so to go to seed.

      Delete
  6. The rye is impressive. I didn't know it grew so tall. What are your plans for it, feed or?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mainly used as a winter cover crop and I got the seed from saving it out of the farmer's field, they just drive over top of it and plant corn no till after spraying chemicals. Anyway I will save some for next season and see if the chickens will eat the rest. I planted it in late summer so it has been in the ground a long time and really puts a stop to erosion when all other plants freeze.

      Delete
  7. wow...your place is looking great! survival of the fittest for the yellow bird. will dusty eat rye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dusty would eat it to the ground but I don't know if he would eat the grain, if it is mixed in with other grain he would or he might eat it by itself. I don't have enough to make him happy though.

      Delete
  8. the supervisor probably wanted you to pluck all the feathers for her first. love the coke sign...you should link to the signs linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pluck and then roast it for her and put it on a nice clean dish I am sure.

      Delete
  9. I remember before my pussy cat passed away she used to leave pressies for me at the back door, a couple of times I stood on them.. squishy, not nice at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned to look out the door before opening it, sometimes there are dead things and sometimes possums (our only marsupial) eating cat food.

      Delete