Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sunday 4/20

The sun finally came out this morning after days of solid clouds. Wild turnips are in full bloom.
The supervisor was out with me and Aggy this morning but both got distracted to a particularly interesting clump of grass. Something like a bob cat or coyote must have pissed on it to get them to both become so absorbed in the scent.
 Hey dawg, this grass it smell nasty, no?
Dusty was watching them as they left the clump of grass and walked together up to the road, I think he sensed that this wasn't right. It was a real Disney moment, well until the supervisor must have realized what was happening and turned and attacked Aggy with hissing and kung fu claws. Ah, friends no more, Aggy just lay down as the supervisor angrily walked back to the house. The evil smelling grass lured them into a Disney moment but nothing more.
The seedlings got moved out to the green house this morning as it was already 60 inside.
When it gets too hot I just prop the window up a little.
A couple of the old chickens were sunning themselves, sometimes they lay there like they were road kill in weird poses.
I baked this for lunch, doesn't look like much but it turned out good. It was a turkey pot pie type of dish but instead of pie crust I made corn bread and poured the batter on top of the pie filling and it baked into a crust. I think this would be good with chili or even just pinto beans under it.

I didn't take any more photos as I just spent some time digging grass from between the rows of hops, it would have been a rather boring photo. I still have 2 more areas of grass to dig out and I plan to till it and plant field corn beside the hops as they can grow up on the corn this first year but next will need wood supports as they will be established.

24 comments:

  1. I think what you're calling wild turnip is what we call wild mustard. Winter-cress is what my book calls it. Are we on the same "page?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, these are identical to domestic turnips except for the root part which is all white and too tough to eat but smells like a turnip. We have winter or field cress but they are totally different. I think that when I was young I heard them called mustard but everything that I have seen lately call them turnips. If you really got hard up for turnip leaves, they taste like them but you have to be careful that they aren't growing on some land sprayed with some kind of farm chemicals.

      Delete
  2. Your lunch dish looks quite good. I have done this with cornbread before and with biscuits placed on top as well. Love your chickens getting a bit of sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good way to stretch leftover meat into several more meals and I kind of like it better than the original turkey meal.

      Delete
  3. Forget "Occupy Wallstreet..LOL! The supervisor knows the smart thing to do..."Occupy the Birdbath"!! Cool! She's won me over...she's my new desktop photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The supervisors can find some strange places to sleep, they may even catch an occasional bird that lands on them. So far none have got in the car motor which is a real danger for them.

      Delete
  4. Sorry, I'm behind the times..LOL. Meant to write my last comment about your Saturday blog, but hey, I guess it works for today too. Hope you and your family had a blessed Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were only a day off which is close enough as I forget what day it is much of the time.

      Delete
  5. And your pot pie looks delish! I've made it before with biscuits on top but never tried cornbread, so here's a great new recipe for me!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried biscuits but that will work as I love biscuits.

      Delete
  6. I love it when the farm animals decide to get along for a few minutes and then snap out of it and sleaze gank each other. That is I love it until it happens that one is sitting on my lap when the sleaze gank happens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not good to have a supervisor on your lap and not pay attention to who walks up, it could turn violent quickly.

      Delete
  7. Kung fu claws! Sounds like a bad oriental movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a popular movie in the dog community.

      Delete
  8. that's funny about the supervisor and abby! glad you are getting some good weather. it's a bit too hot for me already. we are going to be 75 degrees here today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take the hot after months of freezing. If I could get the garden to dry out good, I would be real happy but it is still to cold for most things, a few more weeks!

      Delete
  9. That's funny about the fight. My border collie always ignored our cats. He was so scared of them! Baxter used to chase him around the porch sometimes. I thought it was funny since he was so much bigger, but I was also thankful he didn't harass the cats. We used to have a dog that would kill them, so our cats had to stay indoors all the time then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aggy will give them a hard time once in a while but seems to know that cats are bad toys to play with especially if you wind them up too tight!

      Delete
  10. ozzy would be right there with them...he loves the strange smells in the yard! lunch sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clump of grass had to get checked out again today, it almost deserves a monument put up as it must be magnificent or is it magnifiscent?.

      Delete
  11. Is the wild turnip edible? They look great. Oh yummy pie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roots would be a bit coarse to eat but the leaves should cook into greens just like the garden ones.

      Delete
  12. Haha! Disney moments are such fun, shame they don't last for longer :) So good to see the sun shining with a bit of warmth around your part of the world SF, enjoy.. How hot does it get in summer where you are ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rarely gets up to 100F, usually 80s to mid 90s, not sure what that converts to but the thing is that in Virginia it is so humid and like an old song goes,"it gets so hot that you have to beg for your next breath". But I don't complain about the heat as it is so much better than the below freezing and wind. I just have a cold one and sit in the shade.

      Delete