Saturday, April 19, 2014

Saturday 4/19

After doing the morning chores I spotted the old lawn trailer that our renter left when he moved out. I suddenly realized that it was the start of a new chicken coop for the young birds which will free up the one they are in now for the hen should she hatch the eggs. So I started work.
I decided to use the walls that I got from the museum on the trip to Richmond. The hardest part of the whole project was to remove these neat old civil war photos from the wood walls as they were on with strips of some kind of adhesive. Each one was about 54 inches long so large enough for a coop.
 Finally the second one was off and I didn't damage them too badly.
So here it is with a piece of scrap roofing that I found covering up the front. The idea is to make it strong enough to keep most predators out, I won't call it bear proof though.
It is large enough for birds that can go outside and come in to roost.
I left the rear open but covered with chicken wire and installed a door that slides up to open. The steps also help balance the trailer as it is tail heavy and wants to tip back. The steps are hinged and will swing up when moving it.
View with door in up position.
I finished up in time to start afternoon chores.
One of the supervisors was waiting in the bird bath for birds and keeping an eye on my progress.
Some of the dandelions are starting to go to seed already.
Kind of hard to see but the tomato plants are growing.
The chicks are getting larger and feathers are coming out all over. Some have been using the roost ladder to climb around on.

22 comments:

  1. wow! if i ever end up on a desert island, i want you to be there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't know how to repair boats but I could make lots of chicken coops should the island have chickens.

      Delete
  2. That is one helluva fine chicken coop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a humdinger of an Appalachian engineering job.

      Delete
  3. Awesome coop!!!!!
    Dandelions gone to seed = wishes :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished for more dandelions and it came true.

      Delete
  4. That coop is as cute as my camper top turkey house! I love re-purposing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A camper top would work really good, I see old ones once in awhile but never thought about using one like that.

      Delete
  5. You realize, I'm sure that chicken wire isn't coon proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its all that I have and I have not had any get through it where I have had it in the past. I had a skunk try to tear it off the coop once but he turned out to be allergic to lead.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I didn't really plan it other than using the old photo walls, sometimes it is just easier to start building and see what the scrap pile will yield.

      Delete
  7. It's really good job! I love it. The old photo look so interesting! The chick's growth looks so lovely. I hope someday I can raise chicken in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to raise a couple of hens but I would be afraid that they would get into you plants and scratch the dirt even if they didn't eat them. It would take some fencing.

      Delete
  8. A super coop. You have done a really good job.
    How amazing you have some civil war relic photo boards.
    lovely little chicks.. they love their coop...
    all happening around Sunnybrook farm. Happy Easter sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun is actually out today(Easter) so I will put the tomato seedlings out in the hot frame for awhile to get sun. The place is turning into chicken land again.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Those trailers aren't much good for my uses as they are not balanced well so I have not used it and couldn't figure out what to do with it. Just goes to show not to throw stuff away I guess.

      Delete
  10. You've made it into a three star hotel :-) but why no wallpaper?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would eat it. When I put clear plastic up in the winter to keep the wind out, the first thing they do is start eating it so I suspect it would be the same with wall paper. They really like Styrofoam.

      Delete
  11. Glad you managed to save the old photos SF they are fantastic.. You made a good job of the the new chicken coop.. Yes I saw the supervisor making sure you didn't slack off, she's a tough one yeh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made sure that I got a supervisor photo for you, I need to go feed them before they get riled up at me.

      Delete