Friday, April 18, 2014

Friday 4/18

Cloudy and cool all day but no rain. The big project for the day was to take the old 94 GMC truck out to Callaway to get the state inspection. The old guy who has done it for years died so both the car and truck need a new sticker. The truck was still covered with horse manure from the other day so maybe he didn't want to get too close to it but somehow with the addition of new wiper blades, it passed.
The car will be a different story and I will take it to an expert with computers and the codes they emit. But today was happy happy happy.
This was an old barn up behind the garage that I hadn't noticed before, sun would have been nice so I will stop by again some other morning.
A small church up the hill that looks to have been added on several times in the front.
A house beside the only market and gas station for miles around.
Back at home I took a large part of the hay roll out to Dusty's hay storage area so that it will be out of the weather and I can fork off the bottom part easier now.
This is about as much weight as you want to put on an old wheelbarrow without installing new wood.
Hard to see but the cabbage and broccoli seems to have survived the sub freezing nights. Old plants can take it but young transplants have a harder time of it.
I was out to get chicken feed today and got a package of Georgia Collard seeds as I want to try them as a hot weather green this year. I have seen them in the fall and they grow up high like Brussels sprouts as you remover the lower leaves. Something new.
Debbie and I went to town to get ink for her printer as believe it or not she couldn't email a paper to the teacher it had to be printed and sent through the post office. Talk about being in the wrong century, totally ridiculous plus we had to go buy ink. So we stopped at a Chines restaurant and I needed some color today and took photos of the fish.
They were very elusive and I think the camera looked like a big eye to them so they naturally swam away very quickly. So much for fish photos or Phish Fotos.

16 comments:

  1. I think it's funny that my wife cooks cabbage and brussel sprouts with no problems, but screams bloody murder when I warm up a can of collards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think that cabbage and brussel sprouts would be more smelly than collards but then I suppose it is how you cook them. I like to stir fry cabbage for just a few minutes, my mother and grandmother would cook it half a day and it really stinks when you do that and probably not as good for you.

      Delete
  2. That is a very unusual looking church with all those additions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen it from that angle, straight on you don't notice it as much.

      Delete
  3. Yes, that church has a distinctly accordion look to it, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they have an accordion instead of an organ?

      Delete
  4. I hope your Brassicas will grow well both of cabbage and broccoli. Hey... cute fish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is warmer and has rained some today so it is perfect weather for them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I have seen other small ones like that and they appear to be fairly old.

      Delete
  6. i like that little house next to the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be some neat little buildings out there.

      Delete
  7. Just been catching up on missed posts whilst away in Sydney SF, looks like you've had a busy time of it over the last week. The weather looks to have been a bit mixed, some sunshine but still very cold.. I was thinking that by now things would be heating up for you. Your crops seem to be doing nicely despite the cold nights/mornings, didn't notice the 'supervisor' in last few posts, all ok there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudy again today but warmer. The supervisors have been keeping an eye on me and one follows me to the barn and back to make sure I don't goof off. They are out of sight but if I go sit down, one seems to appear from nowhere to get petted and let me know the clock is ticking to get back to work. I have been building a chicken coop today and one was sleeping where she could see me.

      Delete
  8. The church is really pretty. Now why are Chinese restaurants guaranteed to have fish? :-)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to do with sushi I suspect, gets people thinking fish maybe?

      Delete